Cobalt Blue for Me!

It’s obvious from the following pictures that I finished this way back in the fall, and am just now getting to blogging about this dress.

Every fall and spring, the fabric store for which I work has a fashion show in coordination with the fashion shows. We each get one of the Pantone colors, and then make something. I picked this dress because it was simple, I liked the interesting lines, and I wouldn’t have to do a lot of fitting. It’s Vogue 1312.

 

I cut the largest size, a 24, without any modifications. The fabric is an 18 whale corduroy in 100% cottony, about 3.5 yards and I used a blue batiste to fully line the top. I put an invisible zipper in the side, but I can easily slip it on over my head. I serged the edges to keep the corduroy nurdles down.

Yeah, it’s wrinkled. I wore it to work and ran out to take pictures while there was light. So far, it’s worn wonderfully, washed great, and was comfortable this winter with the cold weather. We’ll see how it does when it gets really hot this summer.

The best part? The twirl factor is seriously excellent. I plan on making another one in white denim, with really colorful embroidery, and not adding the lowest skirt layer on – the plan is just to extend the first skirt panels by about 3 inches so I can wear it with leggings.

Every girls needs a denim dress to wear with her cowboy boots.

I purchased the Perfect Pattern Parcel with the April Rhodes Staple dress pattern.  I had been wanting to make it since it came out. (Still want to make ALL of the other patterns with it. Magpie mode, much?)

I received quite a few pieces of denim from a friend’s destash and used it to make the dress. I did cut the biggest size, and it’s just roomy enough for me. I used French seams like the pattern suggested, and made my own bias binding out of this batik scrap I had lying around.

It’s a little shorter than I like to wear with out leggings, but you can’t see my bum when I bend over, so on really hot days, I just wear it as is. I made it a little less plain with some embroidery. I used the Urban Threads Blackthorn design pack. I want to add more around the bottom, but I am very happy with it as it is now. It get a lot of rotation, and I know I’ll be wearing it a lot this winter, too.

I want one in every color

Let’s play catch up. My local fabric store had a large haul of knit remnants come in early in the summer, and along with a huge pattern sale at JoAnn’s, I bought enough material to make summer dresses for work. Dresses are easy for me because they are a whole outfit, and I like to sew them. I used Butterick 5837 for the top

I love the back on it – it’s still modest enough I can wear it at work, but is a little interesting to look at. I cut the first top in a 22, and it’s a bit big – you can see my bra in the underarms. I didn’t use the skirt pattern – after looking at it, I saw that it’s just two rectangles. I just serged up the side of the motif, and kind of gathered and sewed it on.

In hindsight, I wish I had tacked down the self lining as it has a tendency to ride. I may go back and do that, if I think of it. I had originally planned to make this a maxi dress, but the print was too long for a second repeat, and I don’t regularly wear 5” heels.

I love the elephant print on this dress. I kept the little bit of left over to use as shirt bands on another project. I cut the top in the same size, but brought the arm hole up an inch. I also tacked down the self lining, and put in a small band of elastic at the waist to support the skirt. I used my coverstitch machine to finish the hem.

This dress is like carrot cake with cream cheese icing. It fills a gap in my summer and winter wardrobe.

I used this tutorial to sew in the lining – very clear, very easy, and totally tidy.

I’m a kinetic and visual learning, so all of these youtube videos are super helpful.