Grandmother’s Flower Garden – Progress Post 1

April’s Project Half Done is the English paper pieced Grandmother’s Flower Garden I started… three years ago?

In 2012, I made all of the ladies in my knitting group small project bags, and not all of the fabrics were to my personal taste. I decided that I would take the scraps and make paper pieced flowers. I used muslin for the centers of the flowers, since that’s I had on hand.

I finished putting together all of the flowers, and then put them aside. I had picked out and purchased the purple Kona, but hadn’t cut or basted any hexagons. I chose 1″ hexagons, and cut most of them out myself, the goal being to not spend much more money on a scrap project. Last week I completely put together the first row, and have started on the second.

I’m going to have rows of 5 flowers, followed by rows of 4 flowers. I think I need to make 6 more flowers to make a decent sized middle, The plan is, I think, to piece the center, and then piece a number of large solid colored flowers for the border, to make this a decent sized baby quilt to put in the stash. Once I get this EPP project done, I’d really like to start either the Farmer’s Wife Quilt, or paper piece a Lone Star Quilt. More progress soon!

I’m going to