Glimmerglass Baby Quilt – Finished!

Last summer I took Nancy Feve’s Glimmerglass quilt class at G Street Fabrics in Rockville, MD. I put the beginnings of the quilt top away, and picked them up again in March to finish. It turns out that I had actually pieced most of the 1/2 square triangle sets, and just needed to sew together the rows. I really learned the importance of the scant 1/4″ seam allowance, and pinning seams and points in this top.

I was able to finish piecing the top in two afternoons, and added a black border, with leftover black and white print squares in the corners. I wanted it to look like it was framed. From farther away, I can see where I didn’t have enough contrast in the grey and peony blocks. Still, I’m happy with how it turned out.

I used a mutlicolored King Tut thread, and quilted in diagonals across the quilt. The thread has colors that pick up the florals in the blocks.

I used huge decorative stitches in the border to show off the color, and give a little more contrast. You can really see in the picture above how I pieced the binding from leftover blocks.

Ignore the small piece of pink ribbon – it’s from my pajama bottoms. I was outside on my back deck to take this picture. I pieced the back with the leftovers that I didn’t turn into more glimmer squares. You can really see the diagonal quilting and the binding. I machine sewed on the binding on the front and back, instead of hand tacking it to the back as usual. Since this is a baby quilt, I imagine it’ll get a lot of washing. It ended up being about 40″ x40″, and will go into the pile for the next baby.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s