Quick and Easy

Because I needed to be able to see what in the world I was doing with the flannel shirt, but I still wanted to sew, I pulled out some other fabric from my stash. I really want to make more garments, especially as my ready to wear items are starting to die.

I had this lace left over from an unblogged cotton half slip I made last summer (I cannot find one anywhere; everything is polyester, which is not what I want to be wear in August in Virginia. I made one, and then dyed it purple!). I wanted a lace blouse, something like this. but I couldn’t think of a fabric in my stash that would go with the lace, and I don’t have any shirts that are at the tear up point. I dyed my fabric green, and over dyed in black to get this greeny grey color that makes me so happy. I ended up using the Staple Dress pattern, again  What can I say, I love this pattern!

  

I very technically folded the lace selvage to selvage, matching up the motifs and pinned. I then cut the piece in half, so the front and back would be the same length. I traced out the back and front, and sewed the side and shoulder seams together, and then finished the insides with my serger. I used the rolled hem feature with black fuzzy nylon to finish the neckline and sleeves. For the hem, I just cut along the lace motif. I think I may have enough of another lace to make one more of these – very comfortable, and I’ve already worn it to work and received compliments.

Since I already had my serger set up for a rolled hem, I pulled out this piece of poly chiffon that I got from the remnants table at my local fabrics store. It has scissors on it! It’s 3/8 of a yard, about 60” long, so I used a French seam to turn it into a cowl, and then ran it through the serger to roll hem the edges. I think it may have taken me 10 minutes? There was time for sips of coffee in between.

The last quit and dirty came in the form of this skirt.

It’s this beautiful double woven French rayon that I got from a vendor at the American Sewing Guild Conference last summer. It’s just been sitting and staring at me. I put a French seam in the side, rolled hemmed the bottom, and wacked some elastic in the top. I think I’m going to redo the elastic – I wore this to work already, and I don’t like the way it feels against my skin. I’m thinking I’ll just make a knit casing and sew it down on it. (Edited to add: one of my co-workers liked it so much, I just gave it to her.)

Advertisements

A Whale of A Tale

Hur. Hur. Yes, yes I did.

We got these kits in at work from Cantik Batiks, so of course, ignoring the budget and my Firm Resolve to complete ten projects  before buying another yard of fabric – I bought two. The first one is In Sync.

The directions are really very clear. This is the first applique quilt that I’ve done.  I used the fabric included in the kit, and traced the pieces onto a double sided fusible interfacing. I pressed the large pieced together, and because the kind I used can be picked up and moved until pressed, I was able to get the parts mostly where they were supposed to go.

 

I used a clear applique foot to sew down the pieces in the applique. I used a mutlicolored embroidery thread around all the pieces that aren’t white. For the white, I used a kind of pearly color. You can’t tell here, but you can really see the glimmer when the light hits it.

I backed it with muslin, and then echo quilted around the whale tails. I put in an invisible zipper, using the left overs from the quilt to piece the back. This is intended to be a wall hanging, but I don’t have enough space for that in my house, so I made it into a pillow case. I still need to make the pillow form for it, since it’s an odd size (22″ x 41″). I plan on using ticking, mostly poly batting with feather on the outer parts to make it super soft.

Espresso Leggings – FAIL

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Espresso Leggings by Sewing Cake. I bought the PDF pattern and went from there.

It was easy enough to tape together, and follow the directions for making the custom pattern. As per usual, I lengthened the pattern by about 2 inches, cut it out, and zoomed it together on the serger.

…I don’t even have a picture of these. I think I just threw the failed muslin away. There was no way that I was going to put a picture up on the internet – the word “vulgar” comes to mind. There’s nothing wrong with the pattern, I used the completely wrong fabric to make these. It was not a very stretchy t-shirt knit, and I could see right through the fabric to my knickers.

Not the look I’m wanting.

I really need to add some more width to the thighs and bottom, and add about 3 inches to the back, and make it in the correct fabric.

Sigh.