Every girls needs a denim dress to wear with her cowboy boots.

I purchased the Perfect Pattern Parcel with the April Rhodes Staple dress pattern.  I had been wanting to make it since it came out. (Still want to make ALL of the other patterns with it. Magpie mode, much?)

I received quite a few pieces of denim from a friend’s destash and used it to make the dress. I did cut the biggest size, and it’s just roomy enough for me. I used French seams like the pattern suggested, and made my own bias binding out of this batik scrap I had lying around.

It’s a little shorter than I like to wear with out leggings, but you can’t see my bum when I bend over, so on really hot days, I just wear it as is. I made it a little less plain with some embroidery. I used the Urban Threads Blackthorn design pack. I want to add more around the bottom, but I am very happy with it as it is now. It get a lot of rotation, and I know I’ll be wearing it a lot this winter, too.

Advertisements

I want one in every color

Let’s play catch up. My local fabric store had a large haul of knit remnants come in early in the summer, and along with a huge pattern sale at JoAnn’s, I bought enough material to make summer dresses for work. Dresses are easy for me because they are a whole outfit, and I like to sew them. I used Butterick 5837 for the top

I love the back on it – it’s still modest enough I can wear it at work, but is a little interesting to look at. I cut the first top in a 22, and it’s a bit big – you can see my bra in the underarms. I didn’t use the skirt pattern – after looking at it, I saw that it’s just two rectangles. I just serged up the side of the motif, and kind of gathered and sewed it on.

In hindsight, I wish I had tacked down the self lining as it has a tendency to ride. I may go back and do that, if I think of it. I had originally planned to make this a maxi dress, but the print was too long for a second repeat, and I don’t regularly wear 5” heels.

I love the elephant print on this dress. I kept the little bit of left over to use as shirt bands on another project. I cut the top in the same size, but brought the arm hole up an inch. I also tacked down the self lining, and put in a small band of elastic at the waist to support the skirt. I used my coverstitch machine to finish the hem.

This dress is like carrot cake with cream cheese icing. It fills a gap in my summer and winter wardrobe.

I used this tutorial to sew in the lining – very clear, very easy, and totally tidy.

I’m a kinetic and visual learning, so all of these youtube videos are super helpful.

Faded Feathers – Finished!

Faded Feathers is back from being displayed and going to be a gift after it’s washed again. It ended up being about 40″ x 40″, so a small lap or crib quilt size.

I had a lot of fun piecing this one. The quilting is fairly simple – just some echo quilting around each feather. I used a neutral creamy King Tut Cotton color for the quilting.

I had one set of strips left over from the feathers, so I used it on the back. I like how it echoes the American flag.