All of the Crepes

When I was in San Diego for ComicCon a few years ago (side note, going to ComicCon but not actually attending? AWESOME.), I went to one of the local fabric stores, and they had theĀ Collette Crepe pattern in print. I had been looking for a dress pattern for this pink cotton sateen that he brought back for me from Egypt, and this pattern fit the bill.

It doesn’t have a lot of pieces, has pockets, and is easily adjustable for pre and post dinner.

I didn’t want to cut right into my precious fashion fabric, so I actually made a muslin. Following aaong with Gertie’s sew-a-long, I only made a muslin for the top. It fit well enough right off of the pattern, so I didn’t make any adjustments. A Saturday at my friend Kat’s house was enough to trace and cut out all of the dress pieces, minus the tie. I chose the sweetheart neckline, and cut a size 18.

Crepe front photo DSC_0368_zps95ac2e81.jpg

This is a cotton double gauze that I picked up off the remnant table at my local fabric store. One side is plaid, the other side is gingham. I love it so much that I also got it in purple and pink. I cut the top pieces on the bias, not only for a little extra ease, but also so I didn’t have to worry about matching the plaid.

Not seen here is the fact that I totally did not match the plaid on the front skirt. The fact that it matches on the side is purely coincidental. I should have cut the front on the fold, eliminating the seam allowance, and just dealt with it. Ooops. I also cut the facings wrong, but didn’t recut them because they are on the inside and no one sees them. I wasn’t able to get away with just pick stitching the facing down; it took a few episodes of Arrow for me to catch stitch the facings down to the under layer of the gauze. (I loathe facings. LOATHE.)

crepe back photo DSC_0378_zpse18ff51f.jpg

The ties are made from a pair of pants that didn’t fit, and I wasn’t going to take apart and recut. I wore it unhemmed to my dear friend’s wedding, and ended up hemming it about 3 weeks later (so… mid April?) I’ve worn this a few times since then, and it’s great for hot Virginia summer weather.

Matt and I were going to see The Lion King in June, and I wanted to get the actual Crepe dress finished for that event. I didn’t want to wear all of that pink on my person, and was hunting around for some kind of overlay that would still let the pink shine through. The remnant bin was rummaged once again, and out came 4 yards of a poly chiffon that had little dots burnt out of it. Poifect! (Also, $2.97 a yard.) I traced and cut out the cotton sateen, and then used it as underlining with the poly chiffon on the bodice. I hand basted the two fabrics together, and then treated them like one.

crepe2 front photo DSC_0384_zps82d0151a.jpgI cut the chiffon on the fold for the front skirt, then cut the skirt as usual. Then I ran out of the pink sateen with one panel left. I picked up a piece of dress weight linen in black to use on the last panel, since it doesn’t show anyways. Then I promptly sewed it on wrong and had to sacrifice one of the pockets. Womp womp. I used my serger to finish the sides and hems of the skirt, leaving the hems free of each other so they move independently. It swishes most satisfactorily.

crepe 2back photo DSC_0389_zpsefc4cbea.jpgI love this dress. It makes me feel pretty and powerful, and it’s comfortable. I can wear a regular bra with it, and still move around. I’m still trying to figure out a way to keep the ties from bunching, but other than that, no complaints.

crepe w/ puppeh photo DSC_0379_zpsef64db06.jpgGryphon did have to help with the photo shoot, and he’s about as helpful as when I’m cutting out patterns.

Advertisements